Inside Higher Ed has a couple of posts this week by Ry Rivard [January 6, 2015; January 7, 2015] placing the recently approved consolidation of Georgia Perimeter College with Georgia State University within the context of other recent change in the University System of Georgia.
- Waycross College and South Georgia College merged to become South Georgia State College in 2013.
- Macon State College and Middle Georgia College merged to become Middle Georgia State College in 2013.
- Gainesville State College and North Georgia College & State University merged to become the new University of North Georgia in 2013.
- Augusta State University and Georgia Health Sciences University merged to become Georgia Regents University in 2013.
- Kennesaw State University and Southern Polytechnic State University will merge this year and retain the name of Kennesaw State University
Andy Thomason also explored the Georgia mergers for The Chronicle of Higher Education. His article includes an infographic by Ron Coddington that summarizes the situation very nicely.