circulars from Mount Carroll Seminary [1855, 1856, and 1862] in Mount Carroll, IL. The documents include complete lists of students and other information on the institution.
Mount Carroll Seminary was founded in 1853 by Frances Wood Shimer. The institution later affiliated with the University of Chicago as the Frances Shimer Academy in 1896. The name was changed to Shimer College in 1950. The college then moved to Waukegan, IL in 1978 and back to Chicago in 2006. It is currently located on the campus of Illinois Institute of Technology and is recognized for the focus on Great Books.