Sunday, May 28, 2017

Sisters of St. Benedict in Indiana and St. Benedict College

Leann Burke wrote an interesting article for The Dubois County Herald of Jasper, IN, "When God Calls: Sisters of St. Benedict."  Burke's reporting coincides with the 150th anniversary of the arrival of four Benedictine Sisters from Germany and provides an overview for the history of the Monastery of Immaculate Conception in Ferdinand, IN.  

The sisters operated an academy for many years and opened St. Benedict Normal College in 1914 to prepare teachers.  The institution was later known as St. Benedict College.  Admission was opened to all women in 1956 and it was coed after 1960 until it ultimately closed in 1970.