The Board of Trustees of Mary Baldwin College approved a name change to Mary Baldwin University effective August 31, 2016. The institution is located in Staunton, VA and is affiliated with the Presbyterian Church. It was founded in 1842 as Augusta Female Seminary and became Mary Baldwin Seminary in 1895. The name was changed to Mary Baldwin College in 1923.
Four histories of Mary Baldwin and a variety of other historical resources are available online through the institution's archives:
- , compiled by Joseph A. Waddell, by request of Board of Trustees. Published by Augusta Printing Corporation, Staunton 1908.
- , by Mary Watters, PhD. Published by Mary Baldwin College, Staunton 1942.
- , by Patricia H. Menk, PhD. Published by Mary Baldwin College, Staunton 1992.
- , by Patricia H. Menk, PhD. Published by Mary Baldwin College, Staunton 2006.