The Boards of Trustees for Clarkson University in Potsdam, NY and for Union Graduate College in Schenectady, NY continue to support their planned January 1, 2016 merger. Union Graduate College in Schenectady will become the Clarkson University Capital Region campus.
Thomas S. Clarkson Memorial School of Technology initially opened September 2, 1896. The name was changed to the Thomas S. Clarkson Memorial College of Technology in 1913 and to Clarkson University in 1984.
A history of Clarkson's first century, A Clarkson Mosaic, written by Dr. Bradford B. Broughton is available in digital format on the institution's website.
Union College in Schenectady, NY first began offering select graduate programs in the 1920's. Programs expanded over time in cooperation with Albany Law School, Albany College of Pharmacy, and Albany Medical College. Ultimately, the Graduate College of Union University was formed and chartered by the State Board of Regents as an independent college inJuly 2003. The school’s name was changed to Union Graduate College in May 2006.