Saturday, January 19, 2013

St. Joseph College, (Emmitsburg, MD)

The St. Joseph College Alumnae Association maintains an excellent web site that includes a history of the institution in Emmitsburg, MD and a Facebook page.  
Elizabeth Ann Seton founded an academy in 1809, considered the first parochial school for girls in the United States, that evolved over time to become St. Joseph College.  Operated by the Daughters of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul, the college closed in 1973.
The Emmitsburg Area Historical Society also offers a nice history of the college that was originally written in 1957.













The property was purchased by the U.S. Government in 1979 to serve as the National Fire Academy.  A 30th anniversary program celebrating the creation of the National Emergency Training Center and U.S. Fire Administration Emergency Management Institute also includes a large image of the St. Joseph campus and a historical sketch.