Sunday, September 2, 2012

Valparaiso Male and Female College (IN)

A Porter County historical images page, part of the Indiana GenWeb Project, features over two dozen historical images of Valparaiso Male and Female College.  The institution was founded by the Methodist Church as the Valparaiso Male and Female College and operated between 1859 to 1871. The college was closed for approximately two years, reopening in 1873 as the Northern Indiana Normal School and Business Institute. The name was changed to Valparaiso College in 1900 and it was rechartered in 1906 as Valparaiso University.  In 1925, the Lutheran University Association, an independent organization promoting higher education purchased the institution.