Karen Herzog reports in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that Mount Mary College will mark its 100th anniversary in fall 2013 with a name change to Mount Mary University.
The School Sisters of Notre Dame initially founded St. Mary's Institute in 1850 in Milwaukee. Twenty-two years later another St. Mary's Institute was started in Prairie du Chien. This second institution grew to become St. Mary's College in 1913 and then moved to Milwaukee in 1928 as Mount Mary College. Mount Mary has aggressively evolved to become a leader in women's education and has expanded its mission to include graduate programs.