Morgan State University in Baltimore, MD is celebrating the sesquicentennial of its founding in 1867. The institution was initially known as Centenary Biblical Institute and the name changed to Morgan College in 1890. It then became part of the state system of higher education as Morgan State College in 1939 and changed its name to Morgan State University in 1975.
Sesquicentennial web pages include A Brief History of Morgan State University written by Dwain C. Pruitt and Burney J. Hollis. There is also a timeline, and information on celebratory events.