HBCU Reports published an article January 23, 2016, "Edward Water College Celebrates its 150th Anniversary."
Edward Waters College was initially founded in 1866 in Live Oak, FL as Brown Theological Institute. It was affiliated with the African Methodist Episcopal Church (AME). The name was changed to Brown University in 1874 and to Edward Waters College in 1892. The institution moved the following year to Jacksonville, FL.