Harold Brubaker reported for The Inquirer on December 17, 2015 that Thomas Jefferson University and Philadelphia University announced a preliminary agreement for merger.
Thomas Jefferson University traces its roots to the Medical College of Jefferson College in Canonsburg, PA that was founded in 1824. Jefferson Medical College was located in Philadelphia and formally adopted the name in 1838. With the addition of other programs over time, the institution changed its name to become Thomas Jefferson University in 1969.
Philadelphia University was founded in 1884 as Philadelphia Textile School. The name changed to Philadelphia Textile Institute in 1941 and to Philadelphia College of Textiles and Science in 1970's. Then it became Philadelphia University in 1999.