David McGee of the Bristol Herald Courier recently received a first-place award from the Tennessee Press Association in the Best Education Reporting category for his writing in April and May of 2014 as it became apparent that Virginia Intermont College would close.
Reading through McGee's articles and those of his other colleagues at the newspaper provides those of us who are outsiders with a sense of the emotional toll paid by all the various constituents of this struggling institution. The situation at Virginia Intermont was certainly complex and the struggles were very difficult over many years, yet McGee does a masterful job of sharing the story with the broader community. The commitment of the Herald Courier and their reporters to this story provides a valuable service!
A partial list follows with McGee's articles below with the titles linked back to the www.HeraldCourier.com web site.
- Virginia Intermont faculty gives president vote of no confidence Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2014
- Pending loss of accreditation after failed merger latest blows to VI Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014
- VI College president addresses city council Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 11:16 pm
- Gatton: More should have been done for Virginia Intermont College Posted: Thursday, May 1, 2014 11:06 pm
- Former VI finance director discusses canceled insurance policy Posted: Thursday, May 1, 2014 11:25 pm
- Faculty head chastises VI College's leadership at final commencement Posted: Sunday, May 4, 2014 9:00 pm
- VI President Phillips resigns Posted: Monday, May 5, 2014 11:38 pm
- Virginia Intermont negotiating with E&H to transfer equestrianprogram Posted: Monday, May 5, 2014 11:42 pm
- Interim president: VI won't function as it has before Posted: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 3:46 pm
- Virginia Intermont College owes city $13,000 in real estate taxes Posted: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 7:11 pm.
- Interim college president looks at options for Virginia Intermont'sfuture Posted: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 11:37 pm
- Sale attempt is a no go for Tennessee Ernie Ford archives Posted: Thursday, May 8, 2014 4:30 pm