Midway College announced that it will become Midway University on July 1, 2015. The institution located in Midway, KY was founded as Kentucky Female Orphan School in 1847 by Dr. Lewis L. Pinkerton. The name was changed to Pinkerton High School and Midway Junior College in 1942. It became Midway College in 1978. The main residential campus program continues to operate as a woman's college.