Sunday, November 24, 2013

Name Change Approved for Leeds Metropolitan University

Leeds Metropolitan University received approval to become Leeds Beckett University.

A historical outline is available on the institution's web site:
1824 – Leeds Mechanics Institute is founded.
1845 – Leeds College of Commerce is founded.
1846 – Leeds College of Art is founded.
1868 – Leeds Mechanics Institute becomes the Leeds Institute of Science, Art, and Literature.
1874 – Yorkshire Training School of Cookery founded. (Renamed Yorkshire College of Education and Home Economics in 1966).
1907 – The City of Leeds Training College is founded.
1912 – The City of Leeds Training College moves to Beckett Park site.
1933 – The Beckett Park campus is expanded with the creation of the Carnegie Physical Training College.
1968 – The Carnegie Physical Training College merges with the City of Leeds Training College (by then renamed the City of Leeds College of Education).
1970 – Leeds Polytechnic comes into existence, formed from the amalgamation of Leeds College of Technology, Leeds College of Commerce, part of Leeds College of Art, and Yorkshire College of Education and Home Economics.
1976 – Leeds Polytechnic is enlarged with the addition of James Graham College, the City of Leeds College of Education, and the Carnegie Physical Training College.
1989 – Leeds Polytechnic leaves the Leeds Local Education Authority (LEA), and becomes an independent Higher Education Corporation.
1992 – Leeds Polytechnic is re-designated as a university, under the title Leeds Metropolitan University, with power to confer its own degrees and other awards.