Sunday, April 28, 2013

Alderson-Broaddus University (WV)

The State Journal in West Virginia reported April 20, 2013 that Alderson-Broaddus College will change its name to Alderson-Broaddus University, effective July 1st.

Broaddus College and Alderson College, two institutions with similar traditions as Baptist liberal arts institutions merged in 1932 to become Alderson-Broaddus College.

Broaddus College was founded in Winchester, Virginia in 1871 by Edward Jefferson Willis, a Baptist minister who named the new college after Rev. William Francis Ferguson Broaddus. The institution later moved across the Alleghenies to Clarksburg, West Virginia, in 1876. The college was moved again to  Philippi, West Virginia in 1901.

Alderson Academy and Junior College, was founded in Alderson, West Virginia in 1901 by Emma Alderson.


A historical sketch written by Kim Smucker is available at the West Virginia Encyclopedia (e-WV).

WBOY-TV offers a video segment on the name change featuring images of the campus and interviews with administrators.