Sunday, February 3, 2013

Meredith College (NC)

A History of Meredith College, by Mary Lynch Johnson, is available through the Internet Archive in a variety of formats.  Used copies are also available for purchase through AbeBooks.com.

Baptist Female University was chartered by the legislature of North Carolina in 1891 and the institution opened in Raleigh on September 27, 1899.  The institution enrolled 220 students in preparatory, baccalaureate and master’s programs during the first year. Its first graduating class of ten women in 1902 [one was awarded a M.A. degree and nine received B.A. degrees], who became known as “The Immortal Ten.”

In 1905, the name of the institution was changed to Baptist University for Women and in 1909, to Meredith College.