Saturday, September 15, 2012

National Normal University (OH)


The Warren County Ohio GenWeb Project page offers a large number of images and other resources related to National Normal University.  The page includes links to a Roster of Alumni, Commencement Programs [from 1887, 1888, and 1890], and a Bulletin from 1910-11.


The Southwestern State Normal School was founded in Lebanon, OH in November, 1855.  The school acquired a building used by the Lebanon Academy.  The institution later used the name of Southwestern Normal School.  The name was changed to National Normal School in 1870 and National Normal University in 1881.  Alfred Holbrook served as President for 42 years, resigning in 1897.  The name was changed to Lebanon University in 1907 and closed in 1918, merging with Wilmington College in Wilmington, OH.  The main building was used by Lebanon High School from 1920-1930.  Alfred Holbrook College opened in 1933 before moving to Manchester, OH in 1934 and closing in 1941.