Kemper Military School initially opened in 1844 and closed in 2002. It was known over time by a variety of names [the Boonville Boarding School, Male Collegiate Institute, Kemper Family School, Kemper & Taylor Institute, and the Kemper School]. The institution closed briefly from 1856-1861 when Frederick Kemper taught at Westminster College in Fulton, MO. Following the death of Kemper in 1881, Thomas A. Johnston, a former student, was named as the president. In 1899 the name was changed to Kemper Military School and a junior college was added in 1923. The Kemper Miliary School page on Wikipedia offers a more detailed history and includes lists of presidents and well known alumni.
A 6 1/2 minute video on YouTube includes many historical images of cadets, alums, and postcards of the institution and the community of Boonville.
Eric Berger authored an article in the Boonville Daily News coving dedication of plaque on June 11, 2011 commerating the institution.