Saturday, November 27, 2010

Philomath College and the College of Philomath (Oregon)


The Benton County (Oregon) Historical Society and Museum offers information on two colleges that operated in the community, Philomath College and the College of Philomath. Philomath College was built in 1867 and now serves the Benton County Historical Society and Museum. In 1889, a second college, named the College of Philomath, opened and operated for 23 years, with a 3-year recess from 1906 to 1909.

C.G Springer's M.A. thesis, "A History of Philomath College," was presented in 1929 to the School of Education and the Graduate School at the University of Oregon.  Copies are available in a variety of formats through the Internet Archive.