The Knoxville News Sentinel reports that the main administration building at the former Morristown College burned. The institution closed in 1985.
Founded in 1881 by the national Freedman's Aid Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church, it was originally known as Morristown Normal and Industrial College before evolving into Morristown College and later Knoxville College-Morristown Campus. The original building was constructed on the site of a former slave market from hand-pressed bricks made on site.
Following the Civil War it became a secondary school at which freedmen were taught reading, writing, and arithmetic. Often multiple generations of a single family attended simultaneously (artist Beauford Delaney had two brothers who attended the school). At the height of its enrollment the school occupied 12 buildings and encompassed 375 acres